Manchester is a dramatic mix of old and new. The futuristic design and innovative shapes of its contemporary architecture sit side-by-side with the spires and grinning gargoyles of its proud past. The people of Manchester have an attitude to life and a way of doing things all their own way. We're an easy, self-deprecating lot with a wicked sense of humour and an appetite for adventure (and a party). But don't be fooled: behind that engaging, easy-going exterior there lies ambition and desire for change. Here we celebrate the people of Manchester.
Shopping in Manchester is an experience like no other. Seek out rare finds at Saturday's Tib Street fashion market. Browse vintage boutiques and explore the record shops in Manchester's Northern Quarter for one-off promos. For a more indulgent shop, head to the likes of Harvey Nichols' and finish off with a cocktail.
Manchester's arts and cultural scene is diverse. And when it comes to theatres in Manchester, you've many to choose from. By day, explore landmark galleries and museums, like Daniel Libeskind's Imperial War Museum North, the Museum of Science and Industry and Manchester Art Gallery. By night, take in a show at one of Manchester's many theatrical and concert venues, like the Royal Exchange or the Lowry. Manchester certainly takes centre stage.
Manchester is one of the world's most innovative, original and exciting places for both making music and going out to listen to it. Here you can have it all: follow in the footsteps of Morrissey, look out for the next Happy Mondays or Oasis, enjoy world-class classical performances, or club it like there's no tomorrow......
You may find some of the following links useful:
- Shopping: Harvey Nicols , Selfridges , Topshop , Topman , H&M , Primark , Trafford Centre
- Other Attractions / Hobbies: Central Library , Chill Factor , Mosi , Ten Pin Bowling , Dog Racing
- Food Guide: Restaurants of Manchester
- Theatre Guide: Manchester Theatres , Palace Theatre , The Lowry , The Royal Exchange
- Concert Venues - M.E.N Arena , Ticketmaster , Apollo , Bridgewater Hall
- Local Student and University Halls - Manchester Metropolitan University , University of Manchester , University of Salford
Map of Manchester
View Larger Map')